Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Ok, here is one recipe I HAVE to post, because I have lost my recipe book that has it, and I've also misplaced the copy my mum gave me, so I'm going to write it from HER page that she saved. It truly is THE best spaghetti and meatballs I've ever had, and my kids lap them up, and always ask for more meatballs! Tasty!!!!!

Ingredients (serves 4):
Sauce:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
400g can diced or crushed tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
300g dried spaghetti pasta
Parmesan cheese, finely grated, and small basil leaves, to serve (optional)
Meatballs:
500g premium beef mince
1 small brown onion, grated
1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
1/4 cup flat-leaf (continental) parsley, finely chopped
3/4 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
125g feta cheese, finely crumbled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain flour
1) Make meatballs:
Combine mince, onion, carrot, parsley, breadcrumbs, feta, egg and salt and pepper in bowl. Mix well. Using clean hands, roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls. Roll formed balls in the plain flour to coat well.
2)
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Wash and dry frying pan.
3)
Add remaining oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4)
Add tomatoes and stock to pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce head to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add meatballs to pan. Spoon over sauce to coat. Cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
5)
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Arrange spaghetti in warm serving bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Top with parmesan and basil leaves (optional).

ENJOY!!! Wonderful served with hot crusty garlic bread. Any leftovers can be used to make yummy meatball subs!
Let me know if you try this, and its a great way to get one or two veggies into the kids without them knowing (although I don't have too much problem with my kids eating veggies!). I PROMISE that you won't regret making it. Fiddly making the meatballs, but totally worth the effort!!

No comments: